Helping patients with everything from teeth cleaning to dental implants, United Dental Group has been New York City’s premier dentist office since 1991. They know that when the phrase “root canal” is mentioned, it can cause extreme apprehension. United Dental Group is a team of cosmetic dentists that want to help the community learn more about root canals in order to dispel some of the common misconceptions.
In order keep you from cringing the next time you’re told you need a root canal, these expert dentists have answered five frequently asked questions about root canals so you know what to expect:
- What Is A Root Canal? A root canal is a tooth-saving treatment used when a tooth is damaged or infected.
- Why Do I Need This Treatment? If you don’t get treatment for a root canal, your dentist may have to pull the tooth.
- Is This Treatment Painful? Root canal treatment causes about as much discomfort as a filling. This is one of the biggest misconceptions about root canals.
- Is There an Alternative to Getting Treated? Your only other option is to have the tooth removed. The root canal procedure is very routine, so it’s best to try to save the tooth rather than have it extracted.
- What is The Procedure? The dentist will numb the area around the tooth and then make a tiny hole in the crown of the tooth in order to access the center of your tooth. The diseased tissue in the middle of your tooth is removed and the canal is disinfected.
Everyone hopes they don’t need a root canal, but if you do, this information will have helped you understand what to expect. If you’re experiencing mouth pain of any kind, contact United Dental Group!